About Interlibrary Loan
Use Interlibrary Loan (ILL) to receive books, articles, and other materials from libraries all across the country. The NSC Library ILL staff can locate, request, and obtain items that are unavailable at NSC. ILL is a free service for all NSC students, faculty, and staff.
Our library uses Tipasa Interlibrary Loan. If you have a question about Tipasa or about your previous ILLiad account, contact NSC Library’s ILL staff at email@example.com.
See our quick video tutorial for an overview on how to request materials via ILL:
Frequently Asked Questions
Who may use ILL?
NSC faculty, staff, and currently registered students.
What can I request through ILL?
Journal articles, book chapters, newspaper articles, books, ebooks, and other library items. Textbooks are not available from Interlibrary Loan.
How long does it take to receive a requested item?
- Most requests for articles, book chapters, and other digital resources are filled in 2-4 days, Difficult-to-fill requests can take up to 2 weeks.
- Books and other physical items typically take 2-6 weeks to arrive.
- We may be able to fill a book request more quickly by purchasing an ebook edition for you. Be sure to indicate all acceptable formats on the Request Form when you place your request.
- Please fill out the request form as thoroughly as possible-- the more details you can provide, the quicker we can process your request.
- Please keep in mind that libraries are still experiencing delays in this post-pandemic transition period. The time it takes to receive your material depends on factors that are not always under our control.
Can I check on the status of my request?
Yes, simply log into your ILL account to see the status of your request.
How do I cancel a request I’ve placed?
How will I know when my requests have arrived?
Articles will be emailed to the email address you have provided. In the case of a book, you will be notified by text or email when ILL material is available for pickup at the Circulation desk of the Marydean Martin Library. If your ILL item is not picked up within 14 days, it will be returned to the lending library.
How much will this cost me?
The library provides Interlibrary Loan services free of charge to our patrons. You are responsible for any charges for overdue and billed books, which, if charged by the lending library, may include a non-refundable billing fee for books that are returned late.
Are there any restrictions on interlibrary loan materials?
The Marydean Martin Library at Nevada State will make every effort to locate and obtain requested materials on your behalf. However, requests for very recently published materials, DVDs, dissertations, or rare items are very challenging to fill due to lack of libraries willing to lend the item or other conditions that are out of our control. Textbooks for in-class use should not be requested through ILL. ILL staff will notify you if there are problems filling your request.
How do I return an ILL?
Borrowed materials should be returned to the NSC Library service desk. Please leave any stickers or book bands on the items so they are clearly marked as ILL materials.
How do I renew ILL items?
If a lending library allows renewals, you will see a Request Renewal button in your ILL account. If your request is granted by the lender, you will receive notification of the new due date. If your renewal request is denied, please return your item as soon as possible so as not to jeopardize our relationship with the other library.
What happens if my ILL materials are lost or overdue?
You are responsible for your ILL materials. If they are overdue, library privileges will be revoked until you return the items and pay any fines charged by the lending library. You will be billed for seriously overdue or lost items. Failure to return materials on time jeopardizes our borrowing privileges with other libraries.
How long can I use my ILL materials?
The lending library sets the loan period and may also set special conditions on the use of ILL materials. In general:
- Due dates and other relevant information will be on the book strap or sticker attached to the book. You can also check due dates by logging into your ILL account.
- Items checked out on the same day may have different due dates, please check due dates carefully.